Revere Eight Movie Camera



20"x30" oil on canvas The beginning of my artist statement goes something like this, "What I paint is not as important to me as how I paint it. Blah, blah, blah..." (I am paraphrasing here, but I am pretty sure the "Blah, blah, blah..." is word for word.) Even though I meticulously pick my subject matter, the sentiment stated above still pretty much holds true. Except when it comes to subjects like the one you see above. I mean, come on. It's an 8mm movie camera with a miniature telescope mounted on top! A MINIATURE TELESCOPE! How cool is that? It's like finding a turtle with a turbo jet built into its shell, smoking a cigarette with one of those long cigarette holders, a monocle in one eye, and having him casually challenge you to a race in a droll British accent—it's weird and cool at the same time. When I saw this little camera I knew I had to paint it. I still geek out every time I see it in my studio. And, considering that it sits to the right of my computer, I geek out a lot. Actually, it is pretty easy to get me to geek out over a prop, but we won't go into that.

Posted March 13, 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!