Maneki Neko

32"x48" oil on canvas That beckoning cat is 4' tall! Well, the actual cat in the painting is more like 38" tall, but come on... that is still a dang big cat. And, as the detail shots illustrate, it is composed of a lot of smooshed oil paint. There was a time when I thought about cutting back on using so much paint. While Clan Logan has several Maneki Neko in our employ, the model for this painting is the only one residing in my studio. I have grown used to its somewhat vapid stare and only talk to it on occasion. Like the time I was thinking about cutting back on the amount of paint I use. It just laughed and said, "Use less paint? Ha! I think you should use more, baby! Oh, and another thing: Go Big or Go Home! —and see if you can't get some more cookies in here." (A conversation with an inanimate object that adds yet more evidence that I need to improve the ventilation in my studio.) If you would like to learn more about Maneki Neko, please find the following link to their Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maneki-neko. Whilst I view Wikipedia as a specious source of information, it is the easiest way for me to share.

Posted June 9, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!