Temple Fire Escape

6"x4" oil on raymar panel. Let me situate this scene for you: If you were standing looking at the Buddhist temple entrance, the one in my last two paintings, and then panned to the left along the temple's walls, you would come to this lonely fire escape. That's the best I can do for you, being directionally challenged myself. After painting this, I did come up with a nifty slogan for a bumper sticker: "I like painting fire escapes. I also like bashing my head in with bricks." Has a nice ring to it, don't you think? The details involved and the painting decisions they force you to make, can drive you a bit mad. For example, instead of showing shadow fields consisting of fine sharp lines with actual fine lines, I had to rendered them utilizing value changes. There is a joke in there somewhere about my lack of values, but it is Friday and I will spare you. 
Posted November 30, 2012
sold • private collection sun city, az

2 comments:

  1. This is great!
    Next time...a fire escape against a brick wall. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love this. Fire escapes are so American!

    ReplyDelete

 
Sign Up!