The Octagon in San Luis Obispo


4"x6" oil on raymar panel. This painting comes to you courtesy of the phrase, "You know, if you're going to go around painting barns, you ought to paint that Octagon thing up in San Luis," and it being repeated approximately a billion times. Well, she is the Mother Unit, so I went to check it out and it sounds more exciting than it actually is. THE OCTAGON... Sounds like a place with a pit surrounded by chain-link fence where they throw in two guys with missing teeth and matching IQs and let them battle it out for the best tattoo. This Octagon is just a beautifully simple old building, that the locals have lovingly restored and are vigorously trying to keep from falling to the ground. Luck was on my side with the two doors being open when I was there. They provide a focal point and interest to what would be just a white wall. This little painting may look simple, but I have thrown a bunch of manipulation and abstraction at you. The Mother Unit would tell me not to throw things at you. Oh well, guess I'm just a bad boy.
Posted July 13, 2010
sold • private collection arroyo grande, ca
 
Sign Up!