Chili John's

 


8"x 8" oil on canvas ••• A small study that was in the Cityscape Show last summer at the George Billis Gallery/LA. A larger version is currently hanging in my show, "Local Icons," at the gallery. ••• Here we have a Southern California landmark, and I . . . go and paint the back of it. Sure, the front has its iconlike appeal, but once again, I became enamored with the derriere of the place. The following is going to bring on a slue of culinarily angry emails, but I have to say it: I do not touch chili. It just isn't for me. You may be thinking, "Hey, Raymond! If you don't like chili, what the heck were you doing at a place that puts chili on anything that doesn't move (too fast)?" Well, when you choose to breed and your offspring develop a hankering for it, you find yourself at places like the famous Chili John's (est. 1946). For all of you who are preparing to send me a case of chili, understand this: I have an impenetrable shield protecting me from the odious concoction. The shield is called Spawn Number One (a.k.a., Mr. Iron Guts) and we just have to make sure he doesn't eat the cans as well as their contents. We have also found that it is better to quickly retract our hands lest we loose a digit(s) — never get between Spawn Number One and his chili.

www.gbgla.com

Posted February 17, 2021

sold • private collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!