Cat Bank Trio - Revisited



40"x60" oil on canvas / 2013 ••• In my last inane commentary I mentioned that there were two unexpected picks by Brittany Davis for my show and I think it would be rude of me not to show you the second piece, so here it is. ••• This five foot wide wall of goo is a seminal piece for me not just because it marks my successful transition to larger work, but also because, I believe, it is the last large piece I have ever done that does not have a preliminary charcoal drawing underneath it. That is a huge distinction since I found that, due to time and sanity issues, it behooves me to do an under drawing. Translation: I not only had to fight mass quantities of my medium on this piece but I also had to manage and constantly shift my drawing on the fly. It was sort of like doing two large pieces at the same time, both drastically affecting the other. It was also the last time the The Spousal Unit let me pilfer her cute little porcelain bank for artistic purposes. All the subsequent maneki nekos you have seen me paint had to be obtained by this artist (via completely legal means, I assure you).

Posted May 1, 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!