Dad's Drill - Revisited



46"x46" oil on canvas ••• As with any profession, being an artist has it obligatory deeds. Things like studio visits and writing an artist statement being just a couple of examples. (Artist statements are dreadful, torturous things to read and write with most sounding like they were written by inebriated Great Danes chasing their own tails. And yes, due to certain... youthful experiences, I know what a drunk Great Dane looks like. What you really do not want to encounter is a pickled basset hound. Especially when you have to give it a ride home. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever get that smell out of your car.) ••• Oh crud, I went off topic and find myself without a remotely adequate segue. ••• NEW START: A studio visit is when a gallery or museum director/curator visits an artist's studio to talk direction or to pick pieces for an upcoming show. They are necessary, but for someone who does not normally have people visit his studio (family bearing cookies excluded), they can take a little getting used to and—I have learned—can produce unpredictable results. ••• Before I go on, I must state that I have been extremely lucky in that my curators have all been great. ••• When Brittany Davis came over to pick work for my current show, she picked some pieces I did not expect her to pick. Two of them being a bit older than her other selections. They are very important pieces to me personally and any chance to show my work in public is great, so I am extremely happy that she chose to include them. Both are seminal pieces marking my successful transition to producing larger pieces. They are so important to me that I wanted to revisit one in this email, hence the huge drill you see above and below. It is titled "Dad's Drill" because it was my late father's drill, the one I used my entire childhood, hence it is doubly special to me. ••• I hope you enjoy the revisit and, if possible, can visit my show at Brittany Davis Gallery to see the piece in person.

Posted April 21, 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!