Lollipop Red

6"x4" oil on panel (As promised, here is the second piece from my email twofer.) Candy in a lawyer's office always seems like more of a dare than a welcoming gesture. Does hard candy really stay edible for eternity—like Twinkies do? Is the candy there to test your intestinal fortitude? If you can survive that rock candy, you can surely survive a tough grilling on the witness stand(?). As it is with so many things in my life, I don't care. I don't want to eat those petrified biscuits of death; I want to paint them. High powered attorney or not, when Raymond is around, guard your 25 year old candy. Turn your head for just a second and... voila... a whole bowl of beautifully colored cement is gone. If I am in a particularly surly mood, I will just sit there ignoring you while I inspect your candy; holding it up to the light to inspect the color and clarity and casually disposing of any with cellophane wrappers that don't look quite right. Actually, maybe the candy is my way of testing the candied counselor: If he or she doesn't have good cellophane on their candy, they cannot be trusted! • And yes, to answer your question, I am easily distracted by shiny things (and squirrels).

Posted September 5, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!