Airstream Trailer

20"x16" oil on canvas When viewing my paintings of "things," people often ask, "Do you have these items or do you paint from pictures?" My answer: "I have almost all of the items—a very few are loaned to me—and I paint whilst the object is posing there before me." This response usually elicits a sideways glance that says, "Buddy, you got a hoarding problem!" A look I usually try to ignore. (After all, one man's "hoard" is another man's "collection." Right?) Then along comes this painting, creating a singular caveat: I do not have an Airstream trailer sitting in my studio. This was painted utilizing about 12 different scrap photographs (samples). While it would be fantastic to have a studio large enough to house an Airstream trailer, the fact of the matter is, I do not. And, if I had such a large space, being human, I would just fill it up with more stuff (See "hoarding" above.) Humans do that. Give us a space, and we will fill it. Using a technique I believe psychoanalysts call "avoidance," let's awkwardly segue to a nicer topic. This painting sold at my show! It was one of those wonderful instances when somebody just had to have it. Interestingly enough, the mini version of the painting is still available at the gallery (see inset image). As I type this, I keep wondering if they made an Airstream trailer that would fit in here. Or maybe I could hide it out in the yard. Then, when The Spousal Unit sees it, I would find myself sleeping in it, banished. Hmm, on second thought, I think I'll pass on the trailer.

•••••

Show at Beyond the Lines Gallery
If you have not had a chance to see my show currently hanging in Beyond the Lines Gallery (and you reside on this side of the planet), go check it out. If you cannot make it by the gallery, here is a link to the show's catalogue: MOTION EXHIBIT CATALOGUE

Beyond the Lines Gallery
2525 Michigan Avenue, Building G #8, Santa Monica, California 90404
beyondthelinesgallery@gmail.com
(714) 369-9869 / www.beyondthelinesgallery.com
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday, 11 AM to 5 PM, Sunday by appointment
Closing reception: December 28th
Posted December 15, 2017


sold • private collection san francisco, ca



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!