Black & Decker 1/4 Junior Drill

16"x24" oil on canvas For a change of pace, I will now talk about the picture(s) above. The four detail shots you see surrounding my painting of a drill came about because I am easily entertained and/or distracted. For example, a piece of tin foil supplies me with hours of entertainment. Having typed that, I must admit that I am not really distracted by things like video games or smartphones. The lure of texting eludes me and interacting with an app or game or video or whatever, kind of bores me and I soon find myself looking for another piece of tin foil to play with or at least a chicken to chase around. That was the case until I found the camera in The Spousal Unit's iPhone (I have one too, but it was more fun stealing hers). I used it to take the four up close shots you see above. I admit the colors are whacked out, but shooting up close was fun. I always complain that the 3D element of my painting is lost in the photography of my work and these color-inaccurate shots show the dimension a bit better than a regular shot. Oh, and I tried to take a video with the phone, scanning the craggy surface of the piece like a low flying helicopter. Sounds cool, but due to my shaky hands, the end result made me want to puke. So, no video for you. UPDATE: I have now become bored with the cameras in our smartphones (and I am pretty sure the phone is actually smarter than me). Can anybody loan me a chicken?
  
Posted July 1, 2016

•••••
Oh, I almost forgot. I will have a piece in The Cityscape Show VI at the George Billis Gallery over in Culver City. See details below and the postcard for the show (that is my piece in the middle). Check it out if you get a chance.
The Cityscape Show VI
July 9 - August 20, 2016
Opening Reception: Saturday, July 9, 5 - 8pm
George Billis Gallery/LA
2716 S. La Cienega Boulevard / Los Angeles, CA 90034
310.838.3685 / la@georgebillis.com
Summer Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 10:00am - 5:00pm


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!