Hiking Boot

11"x14" oil on canvas. When I look at an object like my old hiking boot, I see so much color, or at least the opportunity for color. Never mind the blue laces, what about the wonderfully aged and worn areas of the leather? I would advise throwing everything your palette can dream of at those areas and see what sticks, but I wouldn't say, "Just have fun with it," because anybody who has ever been around me when I paint knows that fun doesn't (often) come into the equation. It is more like an intense chess match combined with a 10K run. Oh yeah, I've been known to cuss out misbehaving paintings. I'd spank the little so-and-sos if that wasn't such a messy proposition.    Sorry for the lack of posts, but I have been otherwise engaged in three chess matches with rather large opponents. I consider any piece that requires me to utilize a step stool to paint the top portion of the canvas to be a large painting. I will fill you in later. 

Posted January 24, 2013
sold • private collection bradbury, ca

3 comments:

  1. I love and admire the way you apply paint and whip those unruly creations into submissions. Curse away... it seems to work!

    I'm sorry I missed your opening... Too much going on... But I do love seeing these posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian.
      Maybe I will see you at the CAC "City Lights" opening this weekend.

      Delete
  2. I love this one. I'm partial to clunky hiking boots. There is so much character in your work. Now I know why. You're a character when you're painting, and uh, probably when you're not painting too.

    ReplyDelete

 
Sign Up!