Books, Boxes, and Tea Bowl


11"x14" oil on canvas. I do not know why I painted this little flurry of 11" x 14" canvases. I do not particularly favor the size or format. It just kind of happened. This painting did not just kind of happen, it contains many decisions (far too many to list here) that I pondered and attacked on various terms. Somebody once (or many times) mentioned that I can paint fast. It might be true, but what can I say, I like to get down to business. On more complicated compositions like this, it really works to my advantage. Almost every part of this piece was painted and repainted not once or twice, but multiple times. Not one inch of canvas reveals its original layer of paint. Being shy with the paint is, well, somewhat a waste of time (that comment is going to draw fire). Just attack and accept the fact that people are going to laugh at you when you walk around with paint smudges on your face. It's when they laugh at you and don't tell you about the smudges that ticks me off. You know who you are!
Posted December 18, 2008
 
Sign Up!