Dang, Out of Maple Syrup





















6"x4" oil on gessoed door skin. The title of this painting is actually a quote from me. It's what I said when I found out the tall bottle in the back was empty. Though it looks like a wine bottle, it actually housed Canadian maple syrup and I was really looking forward to painting it. That being typed, this three piece set up proved challenging enough to take my mind off the absent syrup. The interaction of the squattish teapot and empty bottle in this small format was an exercise in control. I really like the poor little tangerine taking on the two larger subjects. It's isolation gives it strength. If I had pancakes on the table, the "Dang" would have been replaced by another word.

Posted May 27, 2008
sold • private collection los angeles, ca
 
Sign Up!