Chinatown Alley



24"x16" oil on canvas ••• (As promised, here is the second piece from my email threefer.) The general consensus is that I should paint a larger version of the Frolic Room piece. To be honest, except for the sign, there is not much to recommend the Frolic Room as a subject. (For the uninitiated, the Frolic Room is a somewhat infamous bar located next door to the Hollywood Pantages Theatre.) As a matter of fact, the art deco styled building that surrounds it is much more beautiful and interesting than the bar itself. To tone down the building's overpowering beauty, I simplified its details in the 6x4. If I take this piece larger, it will be hard to ignore and/or simplify such beauty, but who knows, I might just take a stab at. I guess if I did do a larger piece, the worst thing that could happen is that my neighbors will be exposed to a heavy dose of cussing delightfully wafting from my studio windows and, in the end, I will just scrape the thing, using the dregs to paint a house. Yes, I use a lot of paint.

Posted November 8, 2019

sold • private collection los angeles, ca

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!