Telechron Alarm Clock




10"x10" oil on canvas First off, I just want to say that I love this clock. It is beauty in bakelite. It is the epitome of classic deco industrial design. Why make it look so stylish? After all, it is just a little 4-1/2" tall alarm clock, right? Who cares what it looks like? Back when this was produced, even with World War II raging, they cared what things looked like with the industrial designers of the era throwing everything they had into everything they designed. • When it was first produced, this clock was called the War Alarm because it was made to make sure people woke up and arrived on time to their jobs in the war factories. After the war, it was renamed the Dispatcher. Mine is a Dispatcher. • The history lesson is neat and all, but what I really care about is aesthetics and this little clock is just wonderful to look at. So, I hunted for years until I finally found one that did not cost me an arm and a leg (it must be the Scotsman in me—he's in there somewhere). • And here you have it, in gooey oil paint, the little clock that helped win the war. (And looked great doing it!)

Posted January 10, 2019

sold • private collection los angeles, ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sign Up!