California Poppies




















10"x8" oil on canvas. A few years ago we were desperately trying to get any poppies to grow, now our official state flower explodes in a mass of blinding orange. We pulled out a bunch and put them in two mason jars with this one being the biggest. I wanted to push the oranges by placing them on a complimentary blue background. My internal jury is still out on the decision. As a matter of fact, my internal jury sometimes never reports back from break time, so I'm not holding my breath. The flashes of yellow are bicolor poppies, orange middles with yellow edges, that we have mixed in with the regular orange. I recently snagged (in a somewhat legal manner) some white poppy seed, so maybe next year there will be some white in there. Oh yeah, there's a lot of paint on there.

Posted May 7, 2010
private collection osler, sk, canada
 
Sign Up!