The Obligatory Pear





















6"x4" oil on raymar panel. It would seem that all daily painters are obliged to paint a pear at some time or another. So, here is my somewhat deformed, but always amiable pear. It seemed friendly to me. I have found that one key to successful greens in a painting, landscape greens in particular, is the color red. Not the sparks of obvious red you see dashing about on this pear, but the red mixed into the greens. Red, being green's complimentary hue, makes for more interesting greens. That's my opinion anyway. I should stop painting these dark backgrounds, they are a (insert name for female dog here) to photograph. One must block so much of the ambient light in an effort to avoid all the reflections, that it becomes hard to show all the colors in what probably appears to be black.

Posted September 29, 2009
sold • private collection lake zurich, il
 
Sign Up!